For common problems with sound on Boise School District Chromebook devices, try the following:
Fix #1: Make sure the headphones are securely plugged in
Make sure you firmly insert and push the headphones in. Give it a good push until you hear a click.
Fix #2: Try a different set of headphones or earbuds
By connecting a different set you can determine if the problem lies with a pair of broken headphones rather than a problem with the Chromebook.
Fix #3: The “close lid” solution
- Unplug the headphones.
- Close the lid of the Chromebook and wait ten seconds.
- Plug in the headphones.
- Open the lid. The Chromebook will re-scan for audio devices and should find your headphones. Or...
- Turn off the Chromebook.
- Plug in the headphones
- Turn on the Chromebook. The Chromebook will re-scan for audio devices on startup and should find headphones.
Fix #4: Check sound settings
In the lower right corner of the screen are a series of icons. Find and Click on your account picture at the very right. A window will appear displaying information about the Chromebook.
- Make sure that the audio is at a high volume and not muted.
- Make sure that the destination output is set to either headphones if you want to listen through headphones, or speakers if you want to listen through speakers.
Fix #5: Clear the cache
Clearing the cache on the Chromebook can resolve some audio issues. To clear the cache do this:
- Click on the chrome setting button called the ellipsis in the browser in the top right corner (it looks like three horizontal lines or 3 vertical dots.)
- Click on Tools or More Tools and then Clear browsing Data,
- Select Advanced
- Specify to clear information 'From the beginning of time'.
- The option 'Empty the Cache' is related to sound troubleshooting.
- Click 'Clear Browsing Data'
- Turn the chrome book off and then on again and try the sound.
- For further details see this article: Google - Chrome Browser Maintenance
Fix #6: Disable extensions
Some sound issues could be the result of faulty or outdated extensions. While navigating to extensions note that some extensions are Managed by the District and can not be changed. Disable and/or remove extensions intentionally installed, used, or know its purpose. You can always reinstall extensions and you will install the most recent version of the extension. If the sound now works then the problem was one of those extensions.
Fix #7: Reset the Boise School District Chromebook
See this article on how to Reset a Chromebook, Intended for Boise School District Chromebook Devices only.
Finally, if none of these troubleshooting steps work either contact your home school site. (For BOS enrolled students contact the school in the boundary you reside.) You may also call 208-854-6670 or enter a help request at support.boiseschools.org for technical assistance.