Tips for spotting malware. This information also found here.
Remove unwanted ads, pop-ups & malware
If you're seeing some of these problems with Chrome, you might have unwanted software or malware installed on your computer:
- Pop-up ads and new tabs that won't go away
- Your Chrome homepage or search engine keeps changing without your permission
- Unwanted Chrome extensions or toolbars keep coming back
- Your browsing is hijacked, and redirects to unfamiliar pages or ads
- Alerts about a virus or an infected device
In the future, avoid unwanted software by only downloading files or visiting sites that you know are secure.
Most often these steps resolve the problem:
Reset your browser settings
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Chromebook, and Mac: Under "Reset Settings," click Restore settings to their original defaults Reset Settings.
- Windows: Under "Reset and cleanup,” click Reset Settings Reset Settings.
Then, add a pop-up blocker
Click on those 3 little dots at the top right of the Chrome Browser
The Extensions tab will open
You can also remove extensions that you do not want from this setting.
When you click on Extensions bars,at the bottom of the list find 'Open Chrome Web Store
In the Search field type adblock
then press Enter on your keyboard
The blue Rate it button will read Add to Chrome
After the extension installs you will be greeted with a page to Donate to the developer. This is a personal optional choice, then close the tab.
You will now have a icon in your extensions you can control.
This site pushes pop-ups that we do not want probably. But not all pop-ups are bad.
Infinite Campus utilizes pop-ups, we do not want to block pop-ups here
To manage the pop-up blocker click the icon and turn off for some sites click the icon and select the option you want. Note, stopping pop-ups on a page is not that same as for a site for IC select the entire site.
If you need further assistance contact us.
Let us know how you like this article in the comments below!